He concept from carbohydrate It is formed from two terms: carbon and hydrate . A carbohydrate, therefore, is a carbohydrate .
Hydrates are those substances that contain Water (H2O ). Carbon, meanwhile, is a chemical element. Carbohydrates, in short, are organic substances composed of oxygen , hydrogen and carbon .
Also called carbohydrates , carbohydrates are biomolecules (molecules that constitute a living being) that are mostly made up of carbon and hydrogen atoms. Oxygen is the element present in less quantity.
The function of carbohydrates, which have covalent bonds that are difficult to break, is to provide Energy . This energy can be used immediately or stored for later use. Certain carbohydrates also act as structural elements, forming part of cell walls.
It is possible to differentiate between different kinds of carbohydrates. The simplest are called monosaccharides , as the glucose and the ribose . These carbohydrates have a unique molecule . The disaccharides (the lactose , the saccharose ), meanwhile, are composed of two monosaccharides.
There are also the oligosaccharides , which have between three and nine monosaccharide molecules, and the polysaccharides , with more than ten monosaccharides.
Carbohydrates are essential for all people since the energy they provide allows the development of muscular and neuronal activity and keeps blood pressure and the temperature of the body . In the case of athletes, eating foods rich in carbohydrates (such as noodles or other pasta) is essential to be able to make great physical efforts.
Let's look at these and other carbohydrate benefits in more detail below:
* improves mood : We cannot deny that in order to feel good, goodwill and positive ideas are not enough for us, but we need energy from the moment we get up until we go to bed. For this we have foods such as carbohydrates and others that complement them with high levels of protein ;
* Improves digestion : for a good digestion it is necessary to ingest a lot of fiber, and carbohydrates are very rich in this component, which is also necessary to fight against fatigue and constipation;
* stabilizes sugar levels : the simple carbohydrates they are fast digestion and produce much more glucose in the blood than complexes . To carry out adequate control of excess blood sugar it is recommended to include complex carbohydrates in the diet;
* increase resistance : This property is especially noticed by people who practice sports at a professional level. To feel that the muscles do their job with enough energy it is necessary to consume the calories that they provide us with carbohydrates in a proportion of 50 grams per hour of exercise at least;
* accelerate muscle recovery : A quick and easy advice to follow is to drink a complex protein and carbohydrate shake after each workout. Let's not forget that during the practice of exercise physical reserves of nutrient, liquid and energy are consumed, which is why it is necessary to recover them to achieve the expected objectives;
* improves blood supply : to favor the heart system it is ideal to eat vegetables such as spinach, bananas, quinoa and sunflower seeds. The cereals , on the other hand, provide fibers that reduce the risks of hypertension by 19%. In addition to eating these foods, it is advised to be relaxed during meals, avoid excess salt and drink tea;
* increases resistance to infections : Since the perfect situation is not attainable, it is preferable to strengthen our organism to worry about eliminating all threats from our environment. We will always have to face attacks of viruses and bacteria, which is why carbohydrate contributions are essential to have the right weapons.