The etymological origin of shirt is found in the term of late Latin shirt, which in turn comes from the Celtic language. The concept allows naming a article of clothing what's wrong with it buttons and neck and that is used to cover the torso.
For example: "I don't know what shirt I'm going to wear at dinner tonight", "I'm going to give my brother-in-law a shirt for his birthday", “This midday I stained my new shirt with oil”.
The shirt buttons are usually found on the front of the garment . Usually the shirts have long sleeves, although there are shirts without sleeves or with short sleeves. When the shirts are feminine, they are called blouses .
There are many types of shirts. A distinction that can be made is that already mentioned about the existence, or not, of sleeves . On the other hand you can differentiate between formal shirts (which are usually used with a tie and jacket) and casual shirts (suitable for use with pants cowboy (or Jean), to cite a possibility).
With regard to men's shirts, it is possible to recognize various parts that compose them, although only the most knowledgeable distinguish them:
* neck : It is one of the most obvious, although this does not detract from importance or complexity. In fact, there are several types of neck, which differ in their extension , in its height, in the shape of its tips and in the way of buttoning, among other features. Since this part is almost always in sight, it is one of the most important when choosing a shirt;
* yoke : It is a piece of fabric that serves to join the sleeves, the chest part, the back and the neck. The yoke did not appear in the first designs of shirts for men, but was created to give the user greater elasticity and prevent the garment from causing discomfort when making certain movements. On the other hand, it also facilitates making custom
* armhole : This is the seam that joins the body of the garment to the sleeves, surrounding the armpit and the shoulder. A well-made armhole allows the person to stretch the arms in any direction without feeling tightness or discomfort;
* fold : This part is optional. It is a seam that is made in the upper part of the back to stylize the fabric and get it to conform to the shape of the shoulder blades;
* pin : it is a seam that is in the lower part of the back, on both sides of the garment, and is made with the purpose of adjusting it to the shape of the torso . Two names that receive shirts with tweezers are Tailored Fit or Slim fit, which come from English and refer to the fact that they conform to the body, as if they had been made to measure. This seam is more normal in dress shirts than in casual shirts;
* placket : is a piece of cloth which is in the chest. The eyelets are located on the placket. It can be a fold of the shirt itself or a piece that is added, and be single or double
In a political context, the shirt often becomes a uniform that allows to identify the adherents of a movement or party. In this framework, it was known as "Black shirts" to the members of the militias of fascism in Italy . Between the decades of 1920 and 1940 , the members of the "Black shirts" were directed by the dictator Benito Mussolini to perform all kinds of violent acts.
Also in Italy it was called "Red shirts" to the followers of Giuseppe Garibaldi . This politician and military He promoted several revolutionary campaigns.