The first necessary and obligatory step to be able to understand the meaning of the term at hand is to determine its etymological origin. In that sense, we have to say that the two words that make it up come from Latin:
• Image emanates from “imago”, which can be translated as a portrait.
• Corporate, meanwhile, is the result of the sum of two components: "corpus", which is synonymous with body ", and the suffix" -tive ", which indicates a passive or active relationship.
Image is the figure , appearance , representation or likeness Of something. The notion is used to name the visual representation that is made of an object through the Photography , painting, design or other techniques.
Corporate , on the other hand, is what belonging or related to a corporation . This term (corporation) usually refers to a company large or at a organization made of people That govern it.
The notion of corporate image , therefore, is linked to the representation or figure of a large entity . The concept usually refers to the way consumers perceive the company, associating certain values with it.
The corporate image consists of various elements linked to the perception . On the one hand, it is possible to distinguish visual elements, such as a Logo , a certain color , a typography , etc. It is expected that people, when observing these images, immediately think of the company.
Specifically, we would have to say that some of the elements that shape the corporate image of a company are the following:
• The name of the entity, which is the first impression customers have.
• The logo, which can be only words, only images or a combination of letters and images.
• The slogan. This to succeed and cale among the public must be original, direct, different from the competitors and also must convey credibility to the business it represents.
• The website with its own domain.
• The appearance. With that we are referring both to the set of brochures and advertising media used by the company and to what is the dress of workers or business cards.
Other factors that make the corporate image are rather abstract and aim to generate feelings or emotions that people end up associating with the brand . The corporate image of a company, in this sense, also consists of the solidarity actions that are made on behalf of this or the events that the company decides to sponsor.
It should be noted that, despite the efforts of each company, the corporate image is also influenced by external agents , such as the media, trade unions or non-governmental organizations that issue public opinions and that can influence the perception of the population.
Sometimes companies are in need of having to carry out a corporate makeover. Why? Due to mergers, name changes of the entity, new objectives and strategies, the establishment of new business lines, technical problems, involvement in court cases.