The first step to understand the meaning of the term enema is to determine its etymological origin. In doing so, we discover that it is a word that comes from the Greek, since it is made up of three Greek elements: the prefix "en-", the verb "hienai", which means to pull, and the suffix "-ma", which It is equivalent to the result of an action.
Enema is a liquid medication which is introduced into the body through the year and that serves to clean and unload the belly . The term is also used to name the utensil with which the operation is performed and at action itself of introducing the liquid.
For example: "Yesterday they gave an grandmother an enema since she was constipated", "The doctor who suggested that you use an enema to clean the area", “If I continue like this, I will have to appeal to an enema although I don't like the idea”.
It is possible to distinguish between two types of enemas: evacuating enemas and the retention enemas . Evacuating enemas are used as a treatment for constipation, fecalomas or fecal retention in general. The liquid supplied is usually fast acting, generating a answer In less than twenty minutes.
He retention enema Instead, it is designed so that the liquid introduced into the body be held for a minimum of thirty minutes. Said substance may be a medication or a liquid that allows visualization of images of the lower intestinal tract with X-rays to make a diagnosis. In the latter case, there is talk of opaque enema.
In order to carry out this opaque enema, it is necessary to take into account a number of important considerations:
• It will have as its object what is the large intestine, from the rectum to the colon.
• This is an action that has to be carried out in the hospital or in any other relevant medical center.
• For it to be done it is essential that the patient's colon is completely empty. Hence, this individual should be emptied well with laxatives or enemas as well as a few days prior to very thorough liquid feeding. Specifically, in this diet they take special prominence from coffee to water through fruit juices, tea, consommé or gelatin.
• A probe is implanted in the rectum and through it the person's body would be introduced into what would be barium sulfate, a contrast element that makes it possible to obtain clearer images of certain parts of the body.
• Typically, an opaque enema is performed with the clear purpose of detecting colon cancer, discovering the causes of a person's constipation or having other similar pathologies under control.
A third type of enema is the clismafilic enema , which has no connection with the medicine , but is used as part of a sexual practice.
It should be noted that there are several contraindications in the use of enemas. The people With peritonitis, appendicitis, colitis, intestinal inflammation or abdominal trauma should not use these treatments.